Edible State Map
Using a map of a state for reference, students will make an edible map that shows the major cities in that state.
- reference map
- state outline
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered milk
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups white corn syrup
- Pre-make and separate the dough at home
- Give each student or group of students (two or three at the most), a map of the state.
- Give each student or group, a portion of the dough.
- Have the students shape the dough to represent the state using the outline as a guide.
- Once the map is shaped, have the students place the M&M's where each major city would be. Give a guideline of which cities they need to label. (As a group you may want to find the cities together on a larger map)
- Challenge students by having them find more cities than they have colored M&M's.
- Have each group create a key for their map.
- When the map is finished, have the student or groups share their map with the rest of the class. (Ask the students to look for any corrections needed).